The mission of the Diocese of Owensboro’s “Safe Environment Program” is to insure the safety of children and young people who have been entrusted to our care in our parishes, schools, religious education classes, and other programs.
We pursue this mission in four ways:
- By thoroughly screening and supervising all Church ministers, employees and volunteers who work with children and young people as part of their ministry.
- By providing appropriate training in recognizing and reporting child abuse.
- By holding all Church ministers, employees and volunteers who work with children and young people to Christ-centered and professional codes of conduct.
- By providing the opportunity for every minor in Catholic schools and parish faith formation programs to participate annually in a safety training covering the topics of sexual abuse prevention and the need to tell if abuse is occurring.
Here at Saints Peter and Paul any adult (18 years of age and older) working/volunteering/assisting with programs that involved minor children (school programs or parish programs) are required to complete the Safe Environment Program provided by our Diocese. This is completed in two steps.
Come by the Parish Office and obtain “Background check” forms. These forms can be completed here at the parish office and require the individual’s signature. At this time a copy of your drivers license will be made and sent in with your forms.
Complete the on-line Safe Environment for the Diocese of Owensboro. At your home computer:
- Go to our Diocesan website: owensborodiocese.org
- Go to the “Safe Environment” selection
- Click on the words “Safe Environment website” (in red)
- Follow the prompts – Process takes about 1 ½ hours to complete. You will create a password just for you so that if you have to stop within the process, you can return when you are able to the exact spot that you left off.
- Print a certificate as instructed.
- Bring the certificate to the parish office where it will be kept on file.
If you have any questions, call the parish office at (270) 885-8522.